Monday, July 22, 2013

Scone Rhymes with Gnome Sort Of: Let's Pretend to Be British For a Bit

This entire thing might be kind of incoherent because I am incoherent at the moment and also at most moments.

But let's make scones!!! Scones are these really awesome sugary biscuit things that people in England like to eat (maybe..?). You can do a lot of different things with them by adding different fruits/flavorings, but the ones I made are just plain or have a sprinkling of cinnamon on top.

Pip pip cherry-o.

This dough gets pretty sticky and messy, but it's so much fun!

You will need:

    • 2 cups flour
    • 1/4 cup sugar
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1/4 tsp all spice
    • 6 Tablespoons butter
    • 3/4 cup buttermilk
    • 1 egg
    • a little melted butter for topping
If you decide to use fruit, you'll want to cut up about 3/4 of a cup and mix it in eventually. I'll tell you when. Don't worry.

Preheat yo oven to 400 degreeeeees.

Next, as with most baking expeditions we go on, you're going to mix together all of the dry ingredients first. This means the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and all spice. Got all that?
I wonder how many pictures of bowls I've taken
in the past month. Probably 12,000.

Remember when we made that pie and you had to use a fork to mix in the butter? Remember when we made lemon bars and you had to use a fork to mix in the butter? Remember when baking was essentially just similar ingredients and techniques slightly modified each time to create a different outcome?

Use your fork to mix in all the butter until it's all crumbly and yummy-like.

Mmm, lumpy.

AT THIS POINT, if you are mixing in fruit, go ahead and toss those babies in and stir them around.

In a separate mixing pourer thingy (see picture, I don't know what they're called), beat together the egg and buttermilk. I couldn't find regular buttermilk at the store, so I had to mix this weird evaporated buttermilk stuff with water and milk, but it turned out fine. Just know you may have to do that.

This thing. Legitimately what is it called?
For as much as I bake, I have absolutely no idea.
A measuring cup? Maybe.

Once you've realized just how truly delectable whisked buttermilk and egg is, pour it in and mix it with the dry ingredients. This is the part of the recipe where you get to have extra fun and use your hands like a barbarian. Yay!

Most of the joy I get from baking is actually just
from making a mess.

Get out 2 cookie sheets and grease them with vegetable shortening or whatever your heart desires. Pull out a scoop of the dough that is roughly the size you want (more dough - more scone, less dough - less scone) and coat it in flour.
I'm sorry but this is just so much fun to me.

Place each scoop on the pan until you run out of dough. I think I ended up making about 12 scones, but you can adjust that based on the size of them. If you want I bet you could just make one super scone, but you'd probably have to bake it a while.

To Americanize this English dish, melt some butter and brush each scone evenly with it. Then place your cute little English nuggets into the oven for 20 minutes. They should puff up nicely.

A spot of tea would go quite right with these.

Congratulations! You made scones. If you made plain ones like I did, they are really good for breakfast if you spread on a little bit of jelly. I'm so proud of you!

Also this is sort of related, but I made one of those ask.fm thingys today and it's pretty cool. I got a bunch of baking questions earlier today that you can check out if you want, or ask more baking/whatever questions:

http://ask.fm/aehtila


Love you all <3333

No comments:

Post a Comment