Monday, July 29, 2013

Geometry, Pizza, and One of My Favorite People: This is Really Weird but Good

Today, we have a super special surprise guest and I'M REALLY EXCITED because....

IT'S KARISSA RADAKER!

We made something really interesting and new-age. They're called 'pizza cones' and they're probably the greatest thing I've ever eaten. I'm not even kidding. The ingredients are totally based on what you like on your pizza, but the basic things you need are:

    • 1 tube pre-made pizza dough
    • 1 can pizza sauce
    • 1 package cheese
    • 1 roll aluminum foil (not to be eaten)
After that, it's pretty much up to you. We used pepperoni, bell peppers, and tomatoes, but you could also use sausage, mushrooms, garlic, anchovies, pineapples, or whatever other weird junk you like on pizza.

Follow the baking directions on the box to preheat your oven. I think our box said 400 degrees.

The first step for making pizza cones is to make the aluminum foil cones.

This part of the recipe also doubles as a cute hat.

I would tell you the best way to roll foil into cone shapes but I honestly don't know. This was the most difficult part of the whole adventure. I think if you pull off a fairly large rectangular piece of foil and then kind of roll it diagonally and then squish it together in a cone shape it should work but that didn't really make any sense so you're pretty much on your own. 

Once you've (somehow) shaped the cones, it's time to get out the dough! Simply open the tube and pull out the dough on a flat surface. It may help if you use the best cooking utensil ever known to man, the rolling pin! to flatten out the dough a bit. 

When the dough is nice and flat, cut it into squares that are the same length as your foil cones. Sprinkle a bit of flour down and then slooowly and caaaarefully, wrap the dough around the cones and firmly press the ends together. Don't press the dough on too tight because at some point you will have to remove the foil center. Unless you like aluminum foil pizza, which I do not recommend.

Sorry for the quality of these pictures. Nick took his camera
on vacation so I had to use my iPhone. Sorry. Sorry.

I don't know why but this reminds me of The Smurfs.

Dress up your pizza cones with a nice black blazer and some sensible-yet-classy heels. I mean, dress up your pizza cones by brushing on some melted butter and sprinkling on some oregano, basil, or your favorite spices.

These beauties are ready for a night on the town.

Put your pizza cones in the oven for 8-10 minutes or however long your package instructions say.

Let your cones cool to the touch. The dough should be puffed up and golden brown.

Semi-Italian.

Now you have to remove the foil from the cones. The simplest way to do this is to separate the dough at the top from the foil at first and then gently tug the foil out. I'm not going to lie, it is pretty frustrating. Halfway through you may get discouraged and want to give up, but don't! I believe in you. I believe in your strength and your ability to overcome aluminum foil.

See, I promise it's possible. You can do it.

At this point, you pretty much have total control over what to do now. You can put sauce in them if you like it, but if you don't then don't. If you like cheese, sprinkle in a bunch of cheese, if not don't. It's up to you! However, I will give you a photo montage of what we did.

Cheese is one of the greatest things in my entire life.

Quick way to dice veggies: cut across the whole thing
in strips going one way, then rotate 90 degrees and do the 
same thing.

Paint me like one of your French sauces.

Cornucopias of love.

Once you're satisfied with the contents of your now full pizza cone, place a paper towel over the plate and pop them in the microwave for 3 minutes or until your cheese is gooey, melty and the pizza cones smell delicious.

Which one is the lady and which one is the tramp?

Congratulations! Your pizza cones are finished and (hopefully) delicious!

Never eat a Hot Pocket again.


Also let's talk about something totally unrelated to baking for a second. The wonderful David Zorn (I made him a cheesecake once, remember?) is coming out with a new film very soon and the trailer was just released yesterday! I helped with production a lot and also wrote about 90% of the story and dialogue. So if you like my writing on the blog, you will probably love this movie! Heh heh heh. Heh.
Heh.

But seriously it is incredibly well done. Here is a link to the trailer: 

Please pleeease watch it, like it, and share it with all your friends!! Thank you!

2 comments: